Five years later, the Most Reverend Archbishop Sinnott, founder of the College, officiated the formal opening of the Library to the public. The Library now contained 2000 holdings. In addition to supporting College programs, it could now fill a long wanted need in the Catholic community of the Archdiocese of Winnipeg. Library hours were from 3:30 to 9:30 daily. The loaning period was 2 weeks. Its collection consisted largely of general reading material including fiction and nonfiction. Some attention was given to Catholica, Philosophy, History and English.
By 1950, the Library had an annual circulation rate of 12,000 volumes. In 1958,
Also in 1958, Peggy Gardiner was hired as librarian for the new library. She is credited for cataloguing and organizing the collection at this new site. In 1959, Fr. Harold Drake, sj, replaced Fr. Cotter. Peggy Gardiner left the library in 1969.
In 1992, Earle Ferguson replaced Fr. Drake as unit head, followed briefly by Jane Duffy, then Georgina Lewis who was unit head for 10 years. She retired August 2011. Jim Blanchard replaced Georgina as unit head and retired at the end of 2014. Nicole Michaud-Oystryk, head of Elizabeth Dafoe Library, acts as head of the Fr. Harold Drake, SJ Library. Joshua Herter was Reference Librarian for St. Paul’s, St John’s and Elizabeth Dafoe Library from September to May 2014/15. Katherine Penner was Catholic Studies Librarian from 2015 to 2017. Dominique Taylor currently is Catholic Studies Librarian for St. Paul's College
Library on third floor 1960
Fr. Drake at his desk 1966
Construction of present library 1970