Call Number: Ua 25 (A.79-32)
Title: Department of Chemistry fonds.
Extent: 0.5 m of textual records.
Administrative history: As early as September 1889, the University Council passed a resolution that there should be Chairs in Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Biology, Physiology, Mathematics, and Modern Languages. In 1904, following a $20,000 grant from Lord Strathcona, University Council appointed professorsto Chairs in Physics (Botany and Geology), Chemistry (Physiology with Zoology), Bacteriology, and Mathematics. Professor M.A. Parker was appointed to the Chair of Chemistry. Parker, along with Frank Allen (Physics), A.H.R. Buller (Botany), R.R. Cochrane (Mathematics), Swale Vincent (Physiology), and Gordon Bell (Bacteriology), made up the University of Manitoba's first Faculty of Science. Professor R.H. Betts, whose correspondence makes up part of this fonds, was Professor and Head of the Department from 1966 to 1975.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by Professor R.H. Betts in 1979.
Scope and content: The fonds consists largely of correspondence regarding the administration of Dr. R.H. Betts. Subjects documented in the correspondence include committees, graduate scholarships, research proposals, and the evolution of the Department of Chemistry. References to nuclear energy also appear in the correspondence as Dr. Betts was heavily involved in the field.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room.