Call Number: Ua 36 (A.82-50, A.86-04, A.87-67)
Title: Faculty of Education fonds.
Extent: 5 m of textual records.
Administrative history: The first teacher training course was offered at the William Avenue Normal School in 1906 but a formal university education program did not develop until 1930. In that year, the University of Manitoba and the Provincial Department of Education established a curriculum leading to a Masters degree in Education. Originally named the School of Education, in 1935 it became the Faculty of Education. For many years, the Faculty was spread out through various buildings on the Fort Garry campus. In 1962, it moved into a new building on campus. The Manitoba Teacher's College, successor to the Normal School, was absorbed into the Faculty in 1965. From 1959 to 1973, under Dean John M. Brown, elementary teaching was transferred to the University of Manitoba and a Bachelor of Education program was developed. From 1974 to 1983, under Dean McPherson, a two-year post-Baccalaureate program was offered for students who had already achieved a graduate degree and wished to transfer to Education.
Custodial history: The fonds was transferred to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Faculty of Education in three accessions in 1982, 1986, and 1987.
Scope and content: The fonds includes budget reports, faculty committee minutes and reports, Faculty Council minutes, course proposals, some personnel records, and a substantial body of correspondence from the Dean's Office.
Restrictions: Confidential material is restricted.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room.