Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The University of Manitoba campuses are located on original lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation. More

Faculty of Medicine fonds: Home

Faculty of Medicine fonds

Call Number: Ua 39

Title: Faculty of Medicine fonds.

Dates: 1883-2006.

Extent: 45 m of textual records. -- ca. 1000 photographs.

Administrative history: The Faculty of Medicine of the University of Manitoba was originally founded as the Manitoba Medical College. Thirteen physicians, all graduates of established Canadian or British medical schools, petitioned the government and received its charter in 1883. It was affiliated with the University from its beginnings and its medical degree was granted by the University. Manitoba was the only medical school in western Canada between 1883 and 1913 and one of only two M.D. granting schools until 1950. The first Dean was James Kerr, a Belfast-trained surgeon, who served until 1900. He was followed by Henry Havelock Chown who was the dominant administrative figure over the first seventeen years of the new century. In 1919, the College became the Faculty of Medicine within the University of Manitoba and Dr. J.W. Prowse became the new Dean. From 1883 to 1937, the two executive bodies of the Faculty of Medicine were the Medical Faculty and the Medical Faculty Council. In 1937, the new University of Manitoba Act changed these to the Medical Faculty Council and the Medical Faculty Council Executive. The Faculty has responsibility for undergraduate medical education, graduate training in the basic medical science, and post-graduate clinical programmes. Since 1953, a School of Medical Rehabilitation has been part of the Faculty. The administrative officers of the Faculty are the Dean, the Associate Deans, and the Department Heads.

Custodial history: The University of Manitoba Faculty of Medicine Archives was officially established in 1974 to draw together and organize the documents important to the history of the Faculty. The Faculty of Medicine Archives was transferred to the Neil John Maclean Library on the University of Manitoba Bannatyne campus in the 1990s. 

Scope and content: While the bulk of the documents originally collected were the official records of the Faculty from 1883 held by the Office of the Dean, some other early medically-related documents, artifacts, and photographs were included. In addition, a biographical collection detailing Manitoba faculty, graduates, and some early practitioners was assembled from files held in departments and the library. The fonds is divided into the following series: central administrative records, including staff records, departmental records, students, admissions, examinations, undergraduate medical education;, postgraduate medical education, accreditation, continuing medical education, graduate studies and research, finance, prizes, awards and special funds, buildings and planning, affiliated hospitals, relations with other organizations, relations with government organizations, archives, history including biographies, and publications.

Source of supplied title: Title based on contents of fonds.

Restrictions: Some restrictions apply.

Finding aid: The College of Medicine Archives website features links to listings of the biographical collection. A printed finding aid of the records of the Dean of Medicine is available in the University Archives reading room. Databases of series, photographs and the biographical series are available at the College of Medicine Archives in the Neil John Maclean Library.