Call Number: Ua 34, Pc 69 (A.80-38, A.80-49)
Title: Natural Resources Institute fonds.
Dates: 1817-1918, 1966-1977.
Extent: 0.6 m of textual records. -- 72 photographs.
Administrative history: In 1967, representatives of the Ford Foundation visited the University of Manitoba with the objective of determining the extent of interest in the field of natural resources. They discovered that interest existed in Agriculture, Water Resource Management, Aquatic Biology, and Settlement Studies. Subsequently, with Manitoba Hydro and various mining and paper companies willing to lend support, the first program was initiated in 1969. The Natural Resources Institute became an inter-disciplinary centre for biologists, engineers, ecologists, economists, and public administrators to find better ways to utilize the natural resources of the environment and to encourage economic growth and industrial development.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 1980 by the Natural Resources Institute.
Scope and content: The fonds contains correspondence, reports, records of committees, and regional studies undertaken by the Natural Resources Institute. Among these studies are a substantial number of community profiles for Native reserves within Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario. The photograph collection consists of 72 photographic reprints of Aboriginals utilized in a publication produced by the Natural Resources Institute titled "Indians of the North-West, 1857-1918".
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A finding aid for UA 34 is available in the Archives InMagic database and a printed finding aid for PC 69 is available in the Archives reading room.