Call Number: Ua 37 (A.83-49, A.84-29, A.93-81)
Title: Faculty of Social Work fonds.
Extent: 7.9 m of textual records.
Administrative history: The depression of the 1930s was the impetus for social work education but it was not until 1943 that Senate and the Board of Governors approved a one-year program leading to a diploma in Social Work. At the time, it was included in the Faculty of Arts and Science and occupied an old Chemistry lab at the University's Broadway site. In 1948, the School offered a two-year Bachelor of Social Work degree and, in 1952, a Master of Social Work. The School was admitted into the American Association of Schools of Social Work in 1949 and received official accreditation in 1958. In 1968, the first four-year program was initiated. In 1972, the Bachelor of Social Work program was reorganized into a three-year program of professional education followed by a year of general study in Arts. The school was closely associated with the Department of Continuing Education. They jointly sponsored courses, seminars, institutes, and workshops. The University Senate and Board of Governors approved a change in status from School to Faculty of Social Work in 1989.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Faculty of Social Work in three accessions in 1983, 1984, and 1993.
Scope and content: The fonds contains course outlines, committee records, curricula, staff records, and various project proposals from 1948 to 1980. It also contains correspondence with the Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work, the Continuing Education Division, and Health and Welfare Canada, as well as a substantial body of correspondence by the School's Director.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room.