Call Number: Ua 11
Title: University Council fonds.
Extent: 1.83 m of textual records.
Administrative history: The University Council was the chief administrative body of the University from 1877 to 1936. It consisted of seven members chosen from each affiliated college, three graduates, and two individuals from the Board of Education. The University of Manitoba Act of 1877 entrusted the Council with the management of affairs, concerns, and properties of the University. The increasing size of the University and its new teaching mandate required separation between administrative personnel and the academic body. The University Amendment Act of 1917 created the first Board of Governors and a permanent presidential position to replace the academics within the Council. The Council was reduced in size from 72 to 28 members and became the academic body of the University.
The Chairman of the University Council was the Chancellor from 1877 to 1933, and the President, or Vice-Chancellor, from 1933 to 1936. After the Machray scandal of 1932, in which over $1,000,000 was embezzled from University accounts, a Royal Commission was established to examine all aspects of the University's administration. The Commission recommended that a Senate be created to replace the Council in order to provide a more equal representation between faculties and the affiliated denominational colleges. In 1936, the University Council was dissolved and replaced by the Senate.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of University Council and Board of Studies minutes, correspondence, and reports. Most correspondence was addressed to, or received by, the Registrar, Isaac Pitblado. Subjects included the development of new courses and fields of study, appointments, honourary degrees, space allocation, buildings and grounds, and other matters related to the finances and organization of the University of Manitoba.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives reading room.