Accessing Full Text Books and Articles Online.
- Enter relevant keywords in the library search box to find desired material. Click Search.
- On the search results page, make sure you Sign in to get a complete list of items, and to enable access to online resources.
- Items that are available online will have a Full text available link located under the item's description.*
- To view more more information about the item, click on the title.
- To get full text access to the item, click on the Full text available link.
*Note: HathiTrust Digital Library's full text materials will have a link entitled "Full Text Available at HathiTrust" instead. The procedure for accessing these materials differs from most other electronic resources. Please see the section below for instructions.
- If only one of our licensed databases has the item, you will be directed to the full text of the item automatically. However, if the item is available via multiple databases, a new window will appear where you can choose your preferred database.
- When choosing a database, ensure that it offers access to the volume/year you wish to view.
- Each database will have unique options for viewing and downloading its material.
- Each book or journal will allow a different number of users to access the item at one time.
Items from the HathiTrust Digital Library
The HathiTrust Digital Library makes it possible for UM students, staff and faculty to obtain access to digitized versions of some of the physical books held in the UM Libraries. While HathiTrust's repository contains millions of titles, our access to licensed content is limited to items that are owned by the University of Manitoba. However, they offer a virtual treasure trove of open source content as well.
How to Access HathiTrust's Full Text Material
- Do not use the Full Text Online filter - Unlike other e-books, HathiTrust's digitized copies do not appear as full text resources because their links are embedded in our corresponding print records.
- Number of concurrent users - the number of users who can access HathiTrust's digitized copies at one time will correspond to the number of print copies that the UM Libraries has in the collection. If you cannot immediately access the full-text of an item, try again later.
- Loan period and renewal - HathiTrust's items may be checked out for 1 hour. Your loan will be extended automatically, provided nobody else attempts to view the item while it is checked out to you. Once someone else tries to view the book, your access will be cut off at the end of the hour.
- Click on the Full Text Available at HathiTrust link that is located in the catalogue record.
- Once you are in HathiTrust, click on Log In
- Select the University of Manitoba from the list of partner institutions. Click Continue.
- A University of Manitoba window will pop up. Login with your UM email address and password.
- Scroll to the bottom of the HathiTrust record and click the Temporary Access link.
- A notice will appear indicating that the item is provided through the Emergency Temporary Access Service. Click Check Out to view the full text of the item.
- Hooray! You did it. You will now have full text access to the item for one hour.
- Renewals: Your loan will be extended automatically, provided nobody else attempts to view the item while it is checked out to you. Once someone else tries to view the book, your access will be cut off at the end of the hour. You may attempt to access the item at a later time.