Skip to Main Content
The University of Manitoba campuses are located on original lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Ojibwe-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and on the National Homeland of the Red River Métis. More

Frequently Asked Questions: Home

Frequently Asked Questions

About the Library

Library Account

Library Facilities

Computers, equipment

Borrowing, renewing, returning ...


Write and Cite

Connecting from home


About the Library

Where is the Dafoe Library?

The Elizabeth Dafoe Library is located on the University of Manitoba's Fort Garry Campus [shown as building #6 on the map].
Mailing address:
Elizabeth Dafoe Library
University of Manitoba
25 Chancellors Circle
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada R3T 2N2

What faculties does the Dafoe Library serve?

The Elizabeth Dafoe Library serves the research, study, and teaching requirements of the Faculties of Arts (Humanities, Social Sciences), Education, Environment, Earth, and Resources, Nursing, Kinesiology and Recreation Management, and Social Work.

How do I find my way around the Library?

The floor plan is available at or
click on the About us tab on the Dafoe Home page and select Floor maps.
You can also get a copy of the floor plan at the Service Desk.

How do I find the list of all University of Manitoba Libraries?

Go to the UM Libraries' homepage  and click on Libraries & Departments in the About Us column.

Where can I find a map of all UM libraries locations?

The Libraries' maps can be found at

Where can I find the UM campus map?

The UM Fort Garry campus map can be found at or
The UM Bannatyne campus map can be found at or

Where can I find parking information?

Parking information can be found at
For more information call Parking Services at 474-9483.

Library Account

Where do I get a library card?

The University of Manitoba student/staff ID card issued to you by the University is also your library card.

Can I use my UM Student ID Card at other Winnipeg universities and colleges?

Yes, you can present your UM Student ID card at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College to sign out books (but not Reserve materials).

How do UM alumni obtain a library card?

First you will need to obtain an alumni number from the Alumni Association:
Phone: 204-474-9946  
Toll Free: 1-800-668-4908  
Bring the number to the library and you will be issued a library card.  There is no fee.
For more information visit our Alumni Help Web Page.

Can the general public take out library materials? 

Yes, members of the general public can sign out library materials by obtaining a citizen borrower’s card for a fee of $50.00 per year.  Appropriate picture ID is required. The card can be obtained at any UM Libraries' Service Desk.

What is My Library Account?

My Library Account is your library account that allows you to borrow materials from any UM library, to view the list of items on loan to you, renew or place requests on items, check to see if you have library fines, and more. To access your library account, click on the Sign in to My Account in the Services column on the Libraries’ Home page:

How do I log in to my Library Account?

Log in to your Library Account with your UMnet ID and password.

My student card is lost. What do I do?

  1. Check with the library before you replace it. It may have been found and turned in at the Service Desk.
  2. If your card is lost, you can purchase a replacement from the Photo ID Centre located in Room 400, University Center.  There is a charge for a replacement card.

How do I pay my library fines?

  1. Instructions and online payment are accessible here.

Library Facilities

Where can I study?

There is a variety of study spaces available throughout the Library. Second and third floors of the Library are designated as quiet study areas. Three group study rooms are available on the first floor. To reserve one of these rooms, inquire at the Service Desk. See the floor maps for study locations:  

Where can we do group work?

There are three group study rooms available on the first floor.  For booking one of the rooms please see staff at the Service Desk.

How do I book a group study room?

To reserve a group study room, inquire at the Service Desk, 204 474-9844.

Are there quiet study areas in the Library?

There are quiet study areas on the second and third floors of the Library. See the floor maps for locations:

Where are the photocopiers?

Photocopiers are available on the first floor in Room 103 located across from the Service Desk and the Reserves room located behind the Service Desk. There is also one photocopier on the third floor. All photocopiers accept copy cards and some also accept coins. The cost is 10 cents per page.

Where do I get change for photocopiers?

A change machine is available in the photocopy room located in Room 103 on the first floor across from the Service Desk. Here you will also find a value adding station.

Where is the Lost and Found?

At the Service Desk.

Computers, equipment

How do I login to the Library computer?

Current UM students, faculty, and staff log in with their UMnet ID. Claim your ID at:

How do I print from a library computer?

You can print from your laptop or any computer in the library and retrieve your print jobs from either of the two print stations located behind the Service Desk. The cost is 10 cents per page for black and white prints and $1.00 per page for colour prints.  You can add money to your student card at the value adding machine located in the photocopy room - Room 103 - across from the Service Desk.

Does the Library provide wireless access to the UM network?

Yes. You will need to log in to wireless network with your UMnet ID and password.

Can I print through the wireless network?

Yes, you can set up your laptop or other wireless device to print wirelessly to libraries' printers. See instructions at:

How do I access my personal file space (H drive) from a Library computer?

All U of M students with a valid UM computer account (UMnet ID) have a "personal file space" (H drive) on the UM servers. Once you log in to any library or open lab computer with your UMnet ID, you will see your storage space under drive H.  This file space is secure and is regularly backed up. It can be used to store your files so that they can be accessed from almost any library or lab computer on campus.  You should still keep a copy of your files on a USB drive for your own backup as well.
NOTE: Do not save files in “My Documents”, on the desktop, or anywhere else besides the H drive. They will be deleted when you log out of the system

Can I borrow a laptop?

No, the Elizabeth Dafoe Library does not have laptops for loan.

Can I borrow a USB memory stick?   

Yes, at the Service Desk. It is signed out as a Reserve item for 2 hours.

Can I buy a USB memory stick in the library?

Yes, at the Service Desk.

Where can I find a scanner?

There are four scanners available in the Dafoe Library. One scanner is available in the Brown Lab, the second scanner in the Microforms area, and the third scanner in the room behind the Service Desk. As well, there is a flatbed scanner that can scan documents up to tabloid size (11 by 17 inches). This scanner is located on the first floor of the Library with the printers. There is no fee for scanning materials.

Connecting from home

How can I search for books and articles from home?

Yes, search One Stop Search on the Libraries’ homepage at  Make sure to Sign In to One Stop Search to get best results and to access full text of articles and e-books.

How do I access databases from home?

To search individual databases click on the Databases A-Z link in the Find column on the Libraries Home Page. Select your database. A User Authentication window will appear, log in with your UMnet ID.

How do I access e-journals from home?

You can search for e-journals by title in One Stop Search. Make sure to sign in to One Stop Search. You can also access e-journals from the E-Journals link in the Find column on the Libraries' main page. Once you find the journal you are looking for, click on the yellow GetIt@UML button below the title. You will be prompted to login with your UMnet ID.

How do I access e-books from home?

When you find an electronic book in One Stop Search, click on the yellow GetIt@UML button. Make sure to sign in to One Stop Search. You might also be prompted to log in again with your UMnet ID.

How do I access my personal file space (H drive) from home?

Instructions for accessing UM network files are at:

Borrowing, renewing, returning ...

How do I borrow a book?

You can borrow a book(s) with your UM student/staff ID card at the self-checkout machines located by the Service Desk or take the books to the Service Desk where staff will check them out to your account.

How many books can I borrow?

UM students and staff can borrow a maximum of 200 books. Alumni and other academics can borrow up to 20 books. Non-Credit students can borrow up to 20 books. Citizen borrowers can borrow up to 20 books.

What are your loan periods for library materials?

To see the loan periods, go to:

How do I renew books?

 Renew books online through your library account the day after the due date or bring books to the Service Desk.

How do I request a book?

If an item is checked out or you cannot find it on the shelf, pull up the record for the book in One Stop Search and Sign In with your UMnet ID at the top right corner of the screen. Click on the Availability link below the title and then Request option. Select the library you want to pick up the book from. You will receive an e-mail letting you know when the book is ready for you to pick up. 

Where do I return Library materials?

Return borrowed items through the book drop located immediately inside the front door of the library or in the book drop located at the Service Desk. When the library is closed, material may be returned through the night return bin located in the lobby outside the Library front door.

Can I return books to another UM library?

Yes, you can return books, except Reserve materials, borrowed from the Elizabeth Dafoe Library to another University of Manitoba library. Reserve items must be returned in the book drop at the Service Desk or given to staff at the Service Desk.

My professor said that our course material is "on reserve." What does that mean?

The Reserve section of the Library is located beside the Service Desk. It contains special high demand items and prescribed reading list material. At the request of an instructor, reserve items go out on short-term loan periods. This might include books, journal articles, sample tests, etc. The call number for the reserve items can be found in One Stop Search or under the Course Reserves tab, either by course number, course name, or instructor's name. Retrieve items from the Reserves Room and sign them out at the self check-out machine before leaving the room.

What happens if I lose a Library book?

  • If the book is actually lost, you will be required to pay for it. The library assesses the cheapest price of a new replacement copy. The default price, if we cannot locate one, is $85.00. There is also a $25.00 processing fee assessed against your library account.
  • If you do pay for the book, and it is located and returned to us within a year of the time of payment, you will receive a refund of the price of the book. However, the processing fee is not refundable.


Where and how do I find books?

Search One Stop Search to find location and call number for the book(s) you are looking for. The books are shelved in call number order. The main book stacks are on the second floor.  The Reference, Reserve, and Government Publications collections are on the first floor. 

What is One Stop Search?

One Stop Search is a search engine similar to Google that lets you search simultaneously for books, journals, articles, and other publications that are available in print or online at the UM Libraries.

What is a call number?

All books in the library have a label with a unique call number assigned to them.  A call number is based on the subject content of the book. Library materials are shelved in call number order so that books on similar subjects sit together. Ask at the Service Desk for a handout on how to read call numbers.

What is a database?

In libraries, a database is known as a searchable collection of journal articles. However, databases vary in content and may include more than just journal articles. Some databases also include books, book chapters, conference papers, dissertations, or reports, and others may include images and sound. Some databases are subject-specific and some are inter-disciplinary. The UM Libraries subscribe to over 200 databases: 

How do I know which database to use to find journal or magazine articles?

For help with selecting the right database(s) for you research consult the staff at the Service Desk. Also, you may view the databases by Subject or search by keyword at:

What is the difference between One Stop Search and a database?

In One Stop Search you can search simultaneously on any topic for all materials that are available in the UM Libraries and databases indexed in One Stop Search.
Databases do not include physical items available in the Libraries and not all databases are indexed in One Stop Search. For a comprehensive search it is important to use One Stop Search and Libraries’ databases in your subject area.

Where and how do I find journals?

Search One Stop Search to find journals. Libraries have print and online journals (also called periodicals or serials or magazines). Most of our journals are available online. Older bound issues of print journals are located on the third floor in call number order. Current unbound issues of print journals are found in alphabetical order by title on the first floor in the Current Periodicals section.

How do I find journal articles on a specific topic?

Search One Stop Search or subject related databases to find journal articles on a specific topic:

How can I get full text articles online?

One Stop Search and the database in which you are searching will show whether an article is available in full text. Look in the citation or click on the yellow Get it @UML button.

I have a citation for a specific journal article. How do I find the article?

Once in One Stop Search, Sign In at the top right corner of the screen and then click on the  "Article Linker" located at the top right corner of the screen below the "Sign in". You can also search One Stop Search by title of the article.

How can I find a book review?

Search One Stop Search or a subject specific databae.  Ask for assistance at the Service Desk.

What is MSpace?

MSpace is the University of Manitoba's institutional repository dedicated to collecting, storing, preserving and making accessible digital versions of the intellectual output of UM community members.  An institutional repository like MSpace can include items such as faculty publications; theses; learning objects; research, conference and working papers; technical reports; images; audio and video files; datasets and computer programs. To search or more information about MSpace go to:

How do I get books and journal articles not available at UM Libraries?

If UM Libraries do not own a book or journal that you need, our Document Delivery service can get it for you from another library. For more information go to:

Write and Cite

Where can I learn more about copyright?

The University’s Copyright Office:

Where can I learn about referencing and citing?

Please visit our Citing and Writing page at:

What citation style should I use?

Check with your instructor to determine which style your are expected to use for your course.

How do I cite my references APA style?

Consult the latest edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. Copies of the manual are available in the Elizabeth Dafoe Library on the Quick Reference Shelf; call number: BF 76.7 P83 2010. Also, see our Examples of APA Style of Documentation handout.

How do I cite my references MLA style?

Consult the latest edition of the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. There are copies of this manual in the Elizabeth Dafoe Library on the Quick Reference Shelf, call number: LB 2369 G53 2009. Also, see our Examples of MLA style of Documentation handout.

April 2016