Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The University of Manitoba campuses are located on original lands of Anishinaabeg, Cree, Oji-Cree, Dakota, and Dene peoples, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation. More

Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Lantern Slides: Home

Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Lantern Slides

Call Number: Pc 164 (A.03-62)

Title: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Lantern Slide Collection.

Dates: [190-?]-[195-?].

Extent: 1,478 lantern slides. -- 0.44 m of textual records.

Administrative history: The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, within the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Engineering, is responsible for two fully accredited undergraduate programs in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, with over 200 students in each program. The Department is very active in graduate teaching and research with 50 Ph.D. candidates and 120 students pursuing M.Sc. degrees. 

The Department has come a long way since the start of the B.Sc. degree program in Electrical Engineering in 1907. It was formally structured as the Department of Electrical Engineering in 1921. Now it is included among the best in Canada for both the quality of electrical and computer engineering education and for its research contributions. At present, the Department is the largest of four departments in the Faculty of Engineering.  Historically, major changes in undergraduate studies activities occurred in 1951 when Engineering Physics was added to the B.Sc. (EE) program but was later discontinued in 1967. In 1982, a new degree program in Computer Engineering (TE) was added. A post-graduate degree program existed on the books virtually from the very beginning, but while M.Sc. degrees were awarded in 1916 and 1934, the full-time M.Sc. Program started in 1953. The Department experienced major expansion during 1955 to 1965. With the hiring of a number of faculty members with doctoral qualifications, a thrust in research was added to its teaching activities. Approval to run a Ph.D. program was granted in 1967.

In summary, the Department offers two B.Sc. degree programs, Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, and also offers M.Eng., M.Sc., and Ph.D. programs.

Custodial history: The collection was found in a dumpster discarded by the Faculty of Engineering in the late-1980s. It was retrieved at this time by a technician working for the Faculty. The collection was then donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 2003.

Scope and content: The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering Lantern Slide Collection is arranged in several groupings of numbered and unnumbered slides covering various engineering topics including civil, electrical, military, structural, and others. There are also a few miscellaneous slides. The nature of the groupings suggests that the slides had been used as part of lectures, and there are many local and international engineering projects and examples featured throughout. A major part of the collection (slides numbered 1 through 2139, with a number of slides missing throughout) corresponds with the accompanying card catalogue. This collection also includes a lantern slide projector.

Source of supplied title: Title based on provenance of collection.

Restrictions: Users must abide by relevant copyright restriction legislation.

Accruals: No further accruals are expected.

Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available in the Archives' reading room and an electronic finding aid is available at the link below:

PC 164 (A.03-62).