Inventory prepared by
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Finding aid encoded by Julianna Trivers (April 2003)
Finding aid written in English.
Table of Contents
In 1900 a Commission was appointed by the Manitoba Government to report on the advisability of establishing an agriculture college in Manitoba. The annual report for 1901 of the Department of Agriculture and Immigration noted that the Agriculture College Commission, with the Reverend Dr. Patrick of Manitoba College as chairman, had held a number of meetings and heard the views of educational authorities and other leading citizens. The Commission had visited agricultural colleges in the United States and Canada. The report further noted that three fourths of the people of Manitoba were occupied directly with agriculture and were highly critical of the scarcity of high quality agricultural education and instruction available in the province.
The following year the Commission unanimously reported in favour of the establishment of an agricultural college. It recommended that its primary objective should be the training of future farmers, not of scientists or those in other professions. It recommended an agricultural department chiefly for male students, and a domestic science or home economics department for the training and education of girls and young women.
The Commission estimated that the acquiring of land and the erection of suitable buildings with laboratories and suitable livestock would cost between $75,000 and $100,000. The legislature promptly appropriated $75,000 for the purchase of a suitable site. In 1903 the Department of Agriculture reported that about ninety acres, located on the south bank of the Assiniboine River just west of the Winnipeg City limits, had been purchased as the site of the future agricultural college.
The college was formally opened on November 6, 1906, by the Lieutenant Governor, Sir Daniel McMillan.
The student body of the new institution grew rapidly. Roblin Hall, a student residence large enough for 216 residents, was built the following year. However, it was soon totally occupied thereby forcing many students to find living accommodations elsewhere. Summer sessions became necessary because the college was already filled to capacity in the winter months with students in agriculture.
Less than seven years after it opened, the Manitoba Agricultural College moved south to the present Fort Garry campus with its greatly increased facilities for the teaching of agriculture and home economics. The present Administrative building on campus was the original Agriculture building.
Relations between the Agricultural College and the University in the matter of affiliation had a somewhat chequered career. The "M.A.C." was originally an independent institution under the direction of the Provincial Department of Agriculture.
In 1908 application was made for affiliation with the University and in 1912 he College was granted degree-conferring powers. Partly on account of student pressure desiring to graduate with a university degree, in 1916, the Manitoba Legislature passed a bill amending the 1913 Act, which provided for closer affiliation with the University of Manitoba. Finally, on March 1, 1924 the administration of M.A.C. was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future the instructional work of the College should be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics within the University.
Home Economics became the School of Home Economics under the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics in 1943. In 1950, Home Economics moved into its own building. In 1970, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics split to become two separate faculties.
Today the Faculty of Agriculture is recognized as one of Canada's foremost centres for agricultural study, both applied and experimental.
This collection consists mainly of correspondence, some financial records, and minutes from meetings of the M.A.C. faculty, Advisory Council and Board of Directors from 1904 to 1946.
These records are organized into 1 series
Open to all researchers.
Relevant copyright legislation applies.
Detailed Description of the Records
Alumni Honour Fund, Statements of the Loan Fund, Correspondence, Bank accounts, Financial records, Loans, Receipts, 1922-1932
Alumni Honour Fund Receipt books and Cheque Books.
Alumni Honour Fund Ledger and Miscellaneous pamphlets, 1923-1938
Board and Room accounts, 1921-1924
General Ledger, September 1922-August 1923
General Ledger, 1923-1924
Trust Transfer Ledger, 1919-1920
|3||Inventory Ledger, 1921-1926|
|4||Board and Room and Contingency, 1906-1912|
|5||Cash Book, 1906-1910|
|5A||Cash Book, 1910-1914|
|6||Cash Book 1914-1916|
|7||Maintenance Accounts, 1909-1915|
|8||Petty Cash, 1914-1916|
|9||Accounts Payable, 1924-1933|
(See Box 16 & 21)
|11||Departmental Budget Expenses, 1914-1916|
|12||General Expense (Synoptic) Ledger, 1920-1922|
Dairy General Account, 1925-1929
Appropriation Register, 1925-1926
Record Book of Students, 1914-1915
Descriptions of Short Courses (Publications)
|15||Journal Entries to General Ledger, 1925-1933|
(See Box 10 & 21)
|17||Miscellaneous Files on Farms, Soils, Labour, Purchases and Some Correspondence,1938-1946|
|18||Trust Accounts Ledger, 1911-1915|
M.A.C. General Ledger, 1921-1922
Trust Funds & Scholarships, 1933-1934
|20||M.A.C. Co-operative Association Limited Financial Statements, 1923-1931|
Payroll Ledger, 1915-1924
(See Box 10 & 16)
|22||General Ledger, 1924-1933|
|23||Students Trust Cash Book, 1920-1934|
|24||Dairy Register, 1901-1908|
|25||Miscellaneous Ledger Accounts, 1906-1911|
|26||Financial Statements and Audit Reports, 1920-1931|
|27||Working Papers for Financial Statements and Audit Reports in Box 26|
|28||M.A.C. Co-operative Association - Accounts Payable, 1915-1916|
|29||College Fire Brigade Executive - Minutes of Meetings, 1906-1914|
|30||M.A.C. Board of Directors - Minutes of Meetings, 1904-1924|
|31||M.A.C. Faculty - Minutes of Meetings, 1906-1917|
|32||M.A.C. Staff - Minutes of Meetings (Oversize), 1911-1915|
|33||M.A.C. Advisory Council - Minutes of Meetings, 1924-1930|
|34||M.A.C. Advisory Council - Minutes of Meetings, 1930-1933|
|35||M.A.C. Visitor's Register, 1907-1911|