Call Number: Mss Sc 77, Pc 50 (A.85-21)
Title: Winnipeg Tribune Documentary fonds.
Extent: 0.01 m of textual records.
Administrative history: The Winnipeg Tribune began publishing on January 28, 1890. Its editor and publisher, Robert Lorne Richardson, and business manager, Duncan Lloyd McIntyre, founded it largely in response to the closing of The Sun a few weeks earlier which left Winnipeg with only one newspaper, the Free Press, which was perceived to be politically biased. The Tribune was acquired by Southam Press of Montreal in 1920. The Winnipeg Tribune primarily concentrated on local news while also providing national and international news coverage. In 1935, its investigative reporting was instrumental in closing the Canadian-based pro-Nazi paper, Deutsche Zeitung. Following World War II, the Winnipeg Tribune steadily lost subscription market share to the Free Press. In 1980, the Winnipeg Tribune was discontinued by Southam in exchange for the rival Thompson newspaper chain shutting down the Ottawa Journal. The morgue files, or newsclippings research library, of the Tribune were donated to the University of Manitoba and are stored in their original order in Archives & Special Collections. In 1985, the Archives were involved in the creation of a documentary film on the Winnipeg Tribune. The film utilized archival documents and featured interviews with Tribune staff.
Custodial history: The fonds was created by University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections and was processed and retained in the Archives in 1985.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of hand-written notes and production notes for a documentary on the Winnipeg Tribune and the Winnipeg Tribune fonds at University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
Source of supplied title: Title based on contents of fonds.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Related material: Winnipeg Tribune fonds (MSS 24, PC 18).
Finding aid: Finding aid is currently unavailable.