Call Number: Mss 224 (A.05-29)
Title: Winnipeg Tribune Comic Book Collection.
Extent: 0.3 m of textual records.
Historical note: The Winnipeg Tribune, one of western Canada's oldest newspapers, was founded in 1890 by L.R. Richardson and D.L. McIntyre who scraped together $7000 to take over the press and premises of the old Winnipeg Sun. Struggling under the restraints of outdated equipment and no telegraph service, the new paper survived and with the aid of Winnipeg's growing population and economic boom fast became a viable alternative to the rival Winnipeg Free Press. While primarily regarded as an independent liberal paper covering local events and personalities, the Tribune also reported on national and international news. After 90 years of operation, the Winnipeg Tribune ceased publication unexpectedly in August of 1980 as a result of negotiations between competing newspaper chains. The paper would often publish comic books for readers.
Custodial history: The collection was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by Al Simmons in 2005 and 2006.
Scope and content: The collection consists of Winnipeg Tribune Comic Books.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Related material: Winnipeg Tribune fonds (MSS 24, PC 18).
Finding aid: An on-line finding aid is available at the link below: