The University of Manitoba was established in 1877. Initially both students and staff were male. The first woman was admitted to the university examination in 1886. This student was Miss Jessie Holmes who graduated in 1889. In the early days of the university it was mainly an institution to train clergymen. Its graduates were granted a Bachelor of Arts. Gradually other faculties in the professions and vocations were created. In 1900, a School of Domestic Science was approved. It was funded by the Winnipeg Council of Women. By 1914, enrolment at the university was 974 students. 155 were women, 142 in Arts, six in medicine, six in law and one in pharmacy.
A Dean of Women was installed in 1921. From that point on women began to play a more significant role in the University’s affairs. In 1936, Eva Clare became the first Director of Music. Gradually women were hired as professors and later began to take more prominent roles at the administrative level. These included Isabel Auld who served as Chancellor of the University from 1977 to 1986, Pamela Boldus, Chair of the Board of Governors from 1995 to 1997 and Emoke Szathmary, President of the university from 1996 to today.
Collection Identifier: MSS 124, PC 134, TC 83 (A.91-22, A.00-55, A.02-07)
Title: Helen Glass fonds
Extent: 9.08 m of textual records and other material
Biographical Sketch: Dr. Helen Glass was born in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1917. She received her Bachelor of Nursing from Teachers' College, Columbia University in 1960, followed by a MA, a MEd, and finally a PhD of Education in 1971, also from Columbia. She began teaching nursing courses at the University of Manitoba in 1953. Devoted to enhancing the profession of nursing and the quality of medical care, Glass was founder of the Manitoba Nursing Research Institute, President of the Manitoba Association of Registered Nurses, President of the Canadian Nurses Association and first Vice-President of the International Council of Nurses. She served on the Canadian Delegation to the World Health Assembly in 1983 and again in 1985. Dr. Helen Glass retired officially from the School of Nursing in 1986. She is currently Professor Emerita at the University of Manitoba.
Digitized Material: The digitized material from the Helen Glass fonds consists of textual records pertaining to Glass' education at Columbia Teachers' College, her teaching and administrative work at the University of Manitoba, and her work with professional nursing associations.
Collection Identifier: MSS 142, PC 176, TC 108, MC 9 (A.00-37, A.03-116, A.04-72)
Title: Jennifer Shay fonds
Extent: 27 m of textual records and other material
Biographical Sketch: Dr. Jennifer Shay (nee Walker) was born in 1930, in Hull, England. Upon graduation from Newland High School in 1948, Dr. Shay attended London University where she obtained a B.Sc. in 1952. She briefly worked at the Flatford Mill Field Centre in Suffolk but moved to Canada in 1957 where she worked as a research associate at the University of Manitoba. At the U of M, Dr. Shay completed her M.Sc. in 1959 and her Doctor of Philosophy in Science in 1964, while lecturing for the Department of Botany. She became a full professor in 1975. In 1966, she was appointed founding director of the Delta Marsh Field Station, a position she held until 1986. In addition, she fulfilled a joint appointment in the Departments of Landscape Architecture and Botany from 1975 to 1986 and again from 1989 to 1993. Although Dr. Shay retired in 1993, she remained a Senior Scholar and was awarded the title Professor Emerita in 1995.
Digitized Material: The digitized material from the Jennifer Shay fonds consists of annual reports of Shay's teaching activities.