Winnipeg Tribune fonds
Institution: University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Collection Identifier: MSS 24, PC 18
Title: Winnipeg Tribune fonds
Dates: ca. 1930s-1980
Extent: 243 m of textual records and other material
Administrative History: The Winnipeg Tribune, one of western Canada's oldest newspapers, was founded in 1890 by L.R. Richardson and D.L. McIntyre who purchased the press and premises of the old Winnipeg Sun for $7000. Struggling under the restraints of outdated equipment and no telegraph service, the new paper survived and with the aid of Winnipeg's growing population and economic boom fast became a viable alternative to the rival Winnipeg Free Press. While primarily regarded as an independent liberal paper covering local events and personalities, the Tribune also reported on national and international news. After 90 years of operation, the Winnipeg Tribune ceased publication unexpectedly in August of 1980 as a result of negotiations between competing newspaper chains.
Digitized Material: The digitized material from the Winnipeg Tribune fonds consists of over 900 newspaper clippings and photographs that document the many landmarks and monuments throughout western Canada and illustrate the built heritage in the region, with a particular emphasis on Winnipeg and Manitoba.