Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Format, Example and Tips - USP-NF
Elements to include and formatting
Book Title and edition number. Publisher’s name; Copyright year for the chapter you're referencing. Accessed date. DOI
General Chapter - Example
- USP. Injections and Implanted Drug Products (Parenterals)—Product Quality Tests <1>. In: USP–NF. Rockville, MD: United States Pharmacopeia. Accessed September 2, 2022. https://doi.org/10.31003/USPNF_M98730_03_01
Monograph - Example
- USP. Acebutolol Hydrochloride. In: USP–NF. Rockville, MD: United States Pharmacopeia. Accessed September 2, 2022. https://doi.org/10.31003/USPNF_M125_05_01
- This resource is limited to College of Pharmacy students, staff, and faculty. Contact the NJM Health Sciences Library for login instructions
- Citing the USP-NF is tricky because it is a two-book compilation (the United States Pharmacopeia and the National Formulary) of 4 volumes and AMA doesn’t provide an example for this in the Manual of Style, so we must improvise based on other AMA examples and suggestions from the USP-NF
- Book title should be in italics.
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the page to find the DOI; it appears after the Auxiliary Information.
Questions about the AMA Manual of Style?
Contact the librarians at the
NJM Health Sciences Library
200 level, Brodie Centre