SMR Breeders Co-op Ltd.
Artificial insemination in cattle was first introduced in Manitoba in the early-1940s. SMR was begun in 1952 by a group of local farmers and businessmen from the Stanley and Rhineland municipalities, from which it derives its first official name: S & R Artificial Breeders. The first annual meeting was held on May 1, 1952. The goal of this association was to help farmers enhance the quality of milk and beef. On May 16, 1952, the association had bred its first cow through artificial insemination. An insemination technician was hired after funding was received by the Department of Agriculture and one more technician was hired in 1960. The association was officially incorporated on November 8, 1960 and changed its name from S & R Artificial Breeders to SMR Breeders Co-op Ltd. (the M standing for the municipality of Montcalm). Six members sat on the corporation's board, which usually met 10 to 12 times a year. The growth of the association peaked in 1962 when over 2800 cows had been artificially bred. By the late 1970s, however, SMR ran into financial difficulties and was hurt by a lack of interest. In 1979, at its 27th annual meeting, the members decided to dissolve the corporation.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of minute books, financial records, and extensive insemination reports.
Collection Reference: MSS 128
Inclusive Dates: 1952-1980
Collection Contents: 28 cm. of textual records
Access Conditions: None