Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
The Faculty of Agriculture evolved out of the Manitoba Agricultural College in 1924. By 1941, the Faculty consisted of six departments: Animal Science, Bacteriology and Animal Pathology, Dairy Husbandry, Entomology, Plant Science, and Soils. A program in Home Economics was offered in 1945, and the following year the Faculty saw the addition of the Department of Agricultural Engineering. The first degree program, a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, was offered in 1956. In 1958, a two year diploma course was developed for the practical education of those individuals interested in agriculture. In 1966, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty miles south of Winnipeg.
In 1970, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971, the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the provincial government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia.
In 1990, the University of Manitoba Board of Governors approved a name change for the faculty. On July 1, 1991, the faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences. The faculty consists of seven departments: Agricultural Economics and Farm Management, Agricultural Engineering, Animal Science, Entomology, Food Science, Plant Science, and Soil Science along with the School of Agriculture and the Glenlea Research Station.
Scope and Content
The Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences is a complex and diverse organization and its records reflect this in their nature and organization. The records are organized according to the administrative office in which they were created.
Dean and Associate Deans
These records, covering the period 1911 to 1982, include correspondence files, budgets, faculty council minutes, annual reports, committee records, departmental research proposals, and reports related to projects administered by the faculty, including the Colombo Plan for Khon Kaen University in Thailand. There is also a substantial body of historical files dealing with the development of the Manitoba Agricultural College and the Faculty, as well as files dealing with the Manitoba Agricultural Graduates Association and a variety of provincial and national agricultural organizations and associations.
Department of Agricultural Economics
These records, covering the period 1908 to 1962, contain primarily research data, field records, and reports related to a number of studies during the 1950s and 1960s, including Beef and Feed Cattle Study, Farm Business and Sociological Study, Farm Finance Study, and Manitoba Capital and Credit Study. There are also a number of files dealing with the Department's relationship with provincial farm accounting clubs.
Department of Animal Science
These records, covering the period 1950 to 1982, include records showing the transition of the department from a teaching unit into a more research based department. The records include research data and reports on feeding and disease control in beef and dairy cattle, sheep, swine and poultry. There are also departmental council minutes, course materials, budgets, and files related to the expansion of the department's facilities and curriculum. There is also a substantial body of correspondence between the various department heads and farmers seeking advice concerning their livestock.
Department of Agricultural Engineering
These records, covering the period 1945 to 1985, includes departmental council minutes and correspondence, budgets, annual reports, research project reports, and a substantial body of files dealing with research grant applications by the department to the Manitoba Department of Agriculture.
Department of Entomology
These records, covering the period 1959 to 1980, include departmental correspondence, departmental council minutes, and correspondence and files dealing with insect research and experimentation. There is also a large body of records dealing with research grant applications made to various government bodies and corporations, and files dealing with the department's work with the Greater Winnipeg Mosquito Abatement Program.
Department of Plant Science
These records, covering the years 1935 to 1975, include departmental correspondence files, course offerings, committee files, and a large body of records dealing with plant research and experimentation. There are also a large number of files dealing with various grant applications by the department to the National Research Council, Agriculture Canada, and a variety of corporations.
School of Agriculture
These records, covering the years 1960 to 1976, include the Director's correspondence files, minutes and correspondence of the Diploma Course Committee, Faculty Library Committee and Faculty Curriculum Committee, as well as convocation lists, course syllabi ,and files dealing with Conference Week, Agriculture Day, and with other projects with which the School of Agriculture was involved.
Glenlea Research Station
These records, covering the period 1963 to 1985, include the Director's correspondence files, budgets, committee files, contracts and agreements related to leases and insurance, and a number of files dealing with the Station's buildings, equipment, and machinery. There are also a number of files related to the laboratory analysis of the soil testing done at the Station.
Collection Reference: UA 21, PC 17
Inclusive Dates: 1923-1988
Collection Contents: 36.3 m. of textual records, 2,687 photographs and slides
Access Conditions: Some files may contain sensitive information and may be restricted