Winnipeg Commodity Exchange Inc.
The Winnipeg Commodity Exchange was founded in 1887 as the Winnipeg Grain and Produce Exchange by a group of Winnipeg grain merchants. It served initially as a forum for cash trades in Canadian grains but, in 1904, introduced trading in wheat futures and subsequently added futures trading in barley, oats, flax and rye. In 1908, the Exchange was re-organized as a voluntary, unincorporated, non-profit organization and its name was changed to the Winnipeg Grain Exchange.
The Grain Exchange grew in importance with the Canadian grain economy and, by 1929, played a major part in the establishment of world grain prices and the establishment, in 1935, of the Canadian Wheat Board, which, in 1943, was given a monopoly in the marketing of wheat. In 1949, this monopoly was extended to oats and barley.
The importance of the Exchange began to revive in 1963 with the establishment of a futures market in rapeseed. In 1972, a market in gold futures was opened, at which time the Exchange changed its name to the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. In 1974, part of the trade in barley, oats, and feed wheat was restored to the Exchange and a market in eastern corn was opened.
Currently, Winnipeg Commodity Exchange Inc. (W.C.E. or the "Exchange") is Canada's only agricultural futures and options exchange. Contracts traded on W.C.E. include futures contracts for canola, flaxseed, domestic feed wheat, and domestic feed barley. Options on canola, flaxseed, feed wheat, and feed barley are also traded.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of daily market records ledgers, futures record ledgers, option market record ledgers, a cash sales record ledger, Canadian Wheat Board prices log books, cross, spread, match and job log books, and a supplementary journal.
Collection Reference: Unprocessed Collection, A.01-42
Inclusive Dates: 1908-1993
Collection Contents: 11.9 m of textual records
Access Conditions: None